Fostering is parenting with a difference… it’s super parenting.
Whether or not you’re thinking about fostering, or an experienced foster parent looking to transfer agencies, we’d love to hear from you.
To be a super parent, you need proper support. We’ll work hard to give you as much help, guidance and support as we humanly can. Our not for profit fostering agency supports foster parents across the North East and unlike larger fostering Agencies we're a 100% locally based team.
A financial package worth £396-£463 per week. Ensuring our foster parents, children and young people are well cared for and supported is our number one priority. And financial security is an important factor in that.
People often find it uncomfortable to talk about money and caring for children. At our agency we feel it's really important that we are open and transparent about why finances are important.
- The financial support is made up of the foster parent fee, the foster parent allowance and additional holiday payments.
- It breaks down to £418-461 per week per child placed (depending on the age of the child), when short break care and holiday payments are deducted. If you don’t use your short break care, you get this as a lump sum at the end of the year.
We agree it's not all about money but we recognise that money is an important factor to think about when becoming a foster parent. Foster parents often leave job roles to become full time foster parents and this leaves them with less money coming in.
Fee payments are made on top of allowances to recognise a foster carers time, skill and experience.
The allowance is there to cover the costs that come with caring for a child. It can be things like
- Food & clothes
- Extra circular activities
- School trips
- Equipment for activities
- Hair cuts
We also provide additional payments on birthdays, seasonal celebrations such as Christmas or Eid and school holidays
Supporting you at every step...
There is a lot more we do for you once you start on your foster journey with us. We'll be with you every step of the way to make sure you have the right care to care for young people across the North East.
- 18 days Short Break Care. From time to time you may need a break and we will work with you to support this. However, if you don't use it we will pay you the cash value for any outstanding.
- Birthday, seasonal celebrations & School Holiday Payments. Amounting to £560 to £620 a year for every child placed with you.
- Therapeutic Foster Parent Training. Practical training & tools designed by foster parents and children who've been in care.
- An experienced foster parent as a Mentor. Someone whose been there, done it, and learned from experience. They know more about the realities of fostering than a social worker, and can give you the benefit of their experience.
- Psychology Support. Through monthly group supervision and where needed, help with a tailored plan for your foster child
- Fortnightly supervision from a skilled, experienced social worker. Through monthly group supervision and where needed, help with a tailored plan for your foster child.
- 24/7 Telephone Support-By an appropriately trained member of staff.
- Education Support- Helping finding the right school, getting the best education possible for your fostered child, and extra help in some subject areas if they need it. You can find out more here.
- Access to mentoring and befriending for fostered children. The child’s Social Worker can make a referral for this support, which usually involves a trusted adult meeting up with the young person every two weeks to do fun things together. It’s an extra layer of support for the young person that can help them have fun, enjoy life and build relationships.
"I am excited at the thought of being able to bond enough with a child that they can feel safe and cared for with us as a family. The training you get at Changing Futures Fostering is also very therapeutic to you and your own family. It helps you understand each others behaviour, behaviours that you have lived with forever. It's been an added bonus for us as we have got so much out of that! I'm excited to see where all this takes us."
What happens when next?
When you get in touch with us it's an opportunity for you to ask questions, raise queries and talk about how you see fostering fitting in with your family. It's also an opportunity for us to ask a few questions about how you will fit fostering emotionally and physically into your life. At this stage all we are trying to do is invest some time together to see if being a foster parent is the right fit for you.